« Back to Home

Child Custody: 4 Common Arrangements You Should Know

Posted on

One common issue most couples face after a divorce is dealing with child guardianship. Who will be responsible for making important verdicts? How much time will they spend with the kids? Where will they reside? Parents want the answers to these important questions. There are various types of child guardianship agreements, and they all depend on your needs as well as the children's. Additionally, child guardianship laws are founded on state regulations, and it's advisable to get a family lawyer to help you determine the best arrangement. The following are guardianship arrangements you should know.

1. Authorized Guardianship

Legal guardianship can either be sole or shared. When it comes to joint legal custody, you will have to share the responsibility of deciding matters concerning the children with your spouse. These include education, medical care, and other vital matters regarding the child's life. On the other hand, in sole guardianship, one parent has the responsibility of deciding where the child will reside, the time they will be spending with the other guardian, and many more. Your attorney will evaluate your situation and offer sound legal advice.

2. Short-Term Guardianship

To be awarded this type of custody, you should seek the assistance of a child guardianship lawyer to file a request. The judge may award you guardianship if it's the best thing for your kid, and they will live with you until a lasting arrangement is decided. However, this doesn't mean you will automatically get individual guardianship of your kids later. Therefore, you should consult a family attorney to assist you with your case.

3. Physical Kid Guardianship

This type of guardianship allows you to reside with your kids after the divorce. This custody agreement can be given to one or both parents. However, in sole child guardianship, the kids reside with just one parent while the other will have arranged visitation rights. On the other hand, in joint physical child guardianship, the child will spend some time with both guardians. However, for you to be awarded this guardianship arrangement, you should have an attorney in your corner. 

4. Non-Parent Guardianship

In extreme events, the judge may decide to award guardianship to a non-parent. For instance, if your partner passes away and you are deemed unfit, your kids could be given away to a third party. Third-party child guardianship can be awarded to aunts, uncles, grandparents, or step-parents.

Divorce can be nerve-wracking, but a family attorney will help you choose the best custody agreement for your kid. They will assist you in navigating particular child guardianship regulations and statutes within your region.