« Back to Home

Getting Your Workers' Comp Paperwork In Order

Posted on

If you've been injured at work, you will want to make sure that you get all the benefits available. Filing for workers' compensation insurance should be done quickly and accurately, since even minor mistakes on the claim form could result in a delay in benefits. You might find paperwork from your claim piling up quickly, and you may be wondering what records you should be keeping. Read on to learn more about getting your workers' comp paperwork in order.

Medical paperwork: You likely won't need to pay any out of pocket money for your medical care, but keeping up with your treatment records and paperwork is still important. The full extent of your medical treatment could become important if you are asked to return to work too soon or you are permanently injured.

Claim paperwork: Anything relating to your insurance claim form should be kept. The most important things to keep track of include:

1. Your original accident claim form or accident report

2. All correspondence from the insurance company

3. Denial or acceptance letters

4. Doctors reports and work restrictions

5. Witness contact information

6. Any correspondence from your state workers' compensation board

7. Notes taken during any phone conversations. Note the date, who you spoke to, what they said, etc.

Out of pocket expenses: Not only are you entitled to any needed medical care related to your injury, but you can also be reimbursed for miscellaneous expenses related to traveling to those medical treatments. For example, you should keep records of things like parking fees, bridge or road tolls ad the cost of using public transportation. A spreadsheet or other list of expenses along with the actual receipts is a great way to stay on top of these expenses. Be sure to list the date, where you were going, the cost, the addresses that you traveled between and the mileage.

Speaking of mileage, you are also eligible for reimbursement for your travel miles on a vehicle. This includes trips to your doctor, hospital, physical therapy and anything else associated with your injury. Most states use the IRS standard rate of 54.5 cents per mile, but that varies.

Lost wages: You should get a partial amount of your salary for time spent recuperating from your injuries, and it's a good idea to keep your own records about all time off from your job. Even if you return to work at light duty or part time, as long as you are not receiving at least your previous salary, keep up with it.

If you are experiencing any problems with your workers' comp benefits, talk to a workers compensation attorney right away.